Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Review: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander was first introduced to me by my Mother, of all people. Like most respectable young readers, the last thing on the face of this blue planet I wished to do was read a book recommended to me by my dear mum. What if I thought the book wasn't as good as she claimed? How on earth was I going to break it to her? What if I found the brash Scotsmen frustrating and irritable? Or worse, above all else, what was I to do if I liked it?

Outlander - published in the United Kingdom under the name Cross Stitch - was first released in 1991. (Needless to say, I'm rather late to the party.) The story follows the adventures of WWII English nurse, Claire Randall, on her second honeymoon in Inverness. The trip goes awry, however, when Claire visits a standing stone circle on the fringes of town and is transported back in time - nearly two hundred years. She encounters devilish English dragoons, stubborn Scots, and even a witch or two as she fights to return home. But when the time comes, what choice will she make?

Outlander was recently adapted for television, and it took an episode to truly draw my interest. After years of denying my mother the satisfaction of reading her favorite series, I sat down beside her to watch what I was determined to be an hour of suffering on my part. For a history activist and accent connoisseur, I'm not sure how I expected to walk away unaffected. Like many before me, I walked away from the tv that night with a book in hand and a new story in my heart.

Outlander can be described in many words, but I shall choose two for the time being. Wild and Unexpected. While the lead-up to Claire's transportation back in time is rather slow, there is not one dull moment in Castle Leoch or the outlying Scottish Highlands. Claire uses her wit and skill to apply her medicinal skills to 18th century technology, and she makes it work. She is never without a retort, and withstands even the harshest comments from her male counterparts. In layman's terms, Claire is badass. Her counterpart, Jamie Fraser, is just as brilliant as she. A Scotsman with a price on his head, Jamie is reckless, loyal, and generously noble. He fights Claire's fire with - hey, more fire. Surprisingly, it works. I've read a lot of romances, and yeah, I saw this one coming. The catch? They're not perfect - and heck, we need more of that displayed in books. These two butt heads like nobody's business, but the relationship is gritty and real, just as a relationship usually is. Well, if you don't count the time traveling business.

This book is a romance, yes, but it's so much more than that. It's a study of the Jacobite rebellion in Scotland and the support gathered for Bonnie Prince Charlie, as well as an accurate historical description of the habits and reasonings of 18th century clansmen. If you are not up to date with your Scottish clan history, you walk aside Claire as she learns the rules and regulations of highlander life - and boy, are there many. The book is filled to the brim with real life historical attributes, things that really happened, and placed carefully in the hands of Gabaldon's original characters. She has given history life in the hands of fiction/fantasy, and I commend her for her ability. NOTE: This book is not for the faint of heart, and there are a few hard topics, some that I even still disagree with. However, that's historical accuracy for you; it's not always a pretty thing.

Favorite Quote: "You're tearin' my guts out, Claire." Because dialogue is everything. I've never seen pain so accurately described. Any other word choice would have gone completely unnoticed. I'm in awe.

Reactionary Gif: 


11 comments:

  1. You and I have chatted about this book and I've said I can't imagine it being my type of read, yet somehow you still manage to make me want to read it. Gah!!! How do you DO that?! Love your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take any credit for that, haha! The power of the review is available due to the power of the book! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. "If you don't count the time traveling business." Ha! That made me laugh :D This is a really good review and you've made me want to read this darn book that I've been avoiding, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Haha, that certain plot point does make it difficult to try and pull for the "realistic romance" spectrum. Thank you so much for reviewing my review (?) That may or may not be a thing. But thank you very much anyways!

      Delete
  3. I'm still wavering on Outlander too -- but you make it sound more like something I'd enjoy. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I totally understand - Outlander is definitely hard to get into if its not the style/plot you enjoy. Those that I've talked with have said something along the lines of wavering, too.I still think its awesome that you took the time to comment! Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Haha, like everyone else in the comments, I'm leaning towards this not being my kind of book, but you've made me think maybe I should give it a chance. It's hard to say no to a strong heroine and a believable romance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? This is the first book I've found in a long time that's totally embraced a strong heroine. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places? Haha, but thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this book. I first read it almost 18 years ago (and even that was late to the party) and promptly whipped through the next three books without coming up for air. Like the rest of the people commenting, I was very leery of reading it (too snobby for romances, I was) but a close friend and fellow book pusher convinced me to give it a go and I will owe her a debt for a good long time. There's so much beyond romance here, impeccable research, believable characters, fascinating history, arcane bits of knowledge, etc. I haven't pushed any of my kids towards it although we did listen to it in the car this summer on our many days long road trip, after which my 17 year old son dubbed it 50 Shades of Scotland and admitted it made him uncomfortable to listen to it with me. I think he was a typical teenaged boy and too focused on the sex scenes and not enough on the wildly interesting story as a whole. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I totally understand. I've tried to make my boyfriend - who is a fellow reader - get into it, and he thinks its beyond strange. Tell your son he's not alone! Haha, I was leery of romances as well. I think maybe the image of a lumbering Scotsman just didn't appeal to me? Needless to say, all the history and lore won me over - and the romance was not far behind. Thank you so much for your comment!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely loved this series. I read the first six in a row and it was one of my first books that I reviewed on my blog. I have such a hard time describing it to people because it crosses so many genres!

    ReplyDelete